Monday, May 5, 2008

adios India

I'm not quite sure how to sum up this trip. It will probably take some time to process and I'm sure once I return home, I'll realize even more things about India, the States and myself.

I think after South America, I said I really liked traveling alone. Well, now I really hate traveling alone, and I'm not sure I ever want to do it again. Yes, I realize I still have 3 months to go.

India is the land of extremes. I met amazing people with big hearts. I received warm welcomes all over India. I've been to at least 15 cities in 3 months. I've learned about religions, arranged marriages, people, culture, food, languages and tons more. Even after 3 months, I'm still amazed by India. Seriously every time I leave my hotel room, it's an adventure.

My purpose here was to study yoga and meditation, and I'd say mission accomplished and so much more that I never could have imagined. Cate and I did yoga nearly everyday. I got a personalized yoga practice from the Krishnamachara Yoga Mandrim, the yoga I studied in Atlanta. And I learned Cate's yoga practice also. I did some crazy meditations at OSHO (shaking for 15 minutes, screaming for 15 minutes, dancing for 15 minutes and finally sitting for 15 minutes), and some more traditional but intense meditations at the vipassana meditation course (no talking for 10 days, just sitting and meditating for 12 hours a day). That's probably the most intense I'll ever do. I'm actually happy my original plan to work in an ashram didn't work out. I got to learn about and experience India and it's culture and I made a life-long friend, Cate. Even if a new friend was all I gained from traveling to India, it was worth it. It's rare that you make such a close friend and are able to share such a wild and crazy experience in a foreign country together. And with my mom too! My mom and I made awesome travel buddies (well I shouldn't speak for her). Despite the many glitches we encountered, culture shock and jet lag, my mom rolled with the punches and we laughed through it all. It's rare I get so much individual time with someone, especially as cool as my mom. I just feel really blessed and lucky. Thanks, Mom!

So it's with a bittersweet goodbye to India that I embark on the next adventure in Africa, with no plan at all but with renewed trust in God that it will work out for the best.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

OMG, what a wonderful experience Claire. And your Mom is so sweet...I loved her blog! I can't wait to see you in Africa...it will be such an amazing adventure.
Miss you tons!
Sandra