Saturday, April 5, 2008

Rishikesh...Ashram central


After a fight with the management at our 1st hotel because our door wouldn't lock and a cow having diarrhea just barely missing my foot, Cate and I needed a little Parmarth Niketan Ashram. It was like a resort, a calm oasis from the fly infested, shit covered streets. We had a gorgeous, bright room with Anthro-like bedspreads and a view of the Ganges. In the 5 days we were there, I never made it to the yoga classes at 7 am but I did my own yoga routine and went to the later chanting session. And it was tough but every night, I had to tear myself away from our room for the atari (fire ceremony) on the Ganges. I think the only other time I left the room was to eat. Since my veg days are over, Cate and I searched everywhere for some meat. But being a holy Hindu city, it took 2 nights to find some. Everyone we asked looked at us like we were crazy. We finally hit the jack pot at a cute Swiss Hotel up in the hills with excellent views. And bravely I tried the chicken sizzler. Luckily it was plain, simple and delish. Our trip wouldn't be compete without a dip in the Ganges, fully clothed (as I haven't seen an Indian woman in a bathing suit). The Ganges was surprisingly clean at this point, though cold as ice.

No comments: