Thursday, March 20, 2008

Kashmir

Kashmir was incredible. The hospitality there rivaled that of the south. I flew up to Srinagar to meet Cate and stay with her friend from school, Suhail, and his family. I was welcomed with salty Kashmiri tea (nun chai) and 4 types of breads, all equally delicious. After stuffing my face and making short videos with the cousins, it was time to eat again. This time 5 different kinds of mutton, 1 chicken dish and piles upon piles of rice. Half way through dinner I didn't think I could get anymore in, but each family member stopped by Cate's and my dinner area to cheer us on until we had finished our plates, and I mean spotlessly finished our plates. I thought my ears would turn into kebabs. Luckily I survived the night to wake up for more tea and biscuits at breakfast. It was the same warm welcoming at 4 different aunt's houses over the next week. Good thing the Indian pants are big with a drawstring.












I even got to wrestle on of the aunts.










Suhail's family is fabulous. I learned so much about Kashmir and Islam.












I learned some Kashmiri and how to make chai.














And of course we saw the sights...beautiful Palogum and Lake Dal.

No comments: