Monday, March 10, 2008

Mamallapuram


IMG_1128, originally uploaded by cbern18.

So after planning to leave Wednesday, I finally left to Mamallapuram on Friday. I just couldn't motivate to give up my breezy room at the Broadlands Lodge. Subconciously I must have known Tina Blue View in Mamallapuram couldn't compare. There was a spider the size of my palm that just hung out in the bathroom and the speaker right outside my bedroom came alive at 6 o'clock in the morning with "music" and "singing" from the temple for the holiday weekend. The temple just re-opened after the tsunami destroyed it. And to celebrate there was music blasted throughout the town on huge speakers nearly 24 hours a day. At night the music from the dance show on the beach was broadcast. One of the songs was Brittney Spears. The others were Tamil (I think) pop songs that performers lip sync-ed to and pretty much acted out.


After a restful night, I hit the sights. The rock carvings were impressive and it was nice to get some fresh air outside Chennai. I went to the 5 Rathas (sorry can't remember what they mean exactly). They looked more like a play ground with kids crawling everywhere, but they are well preserved and it was fun to hang out and watch.

Later I went for a walk on the beach. I'm such a prude now. I didn't bring anything shorter than pants to the beach and it's like 100 degrees! But seeing as the women go in the ocean in their clothes, I figured I'd skip my bikini. At lunch I could have sworn I ordered fish but when the waiter brought chicken, I couldn't have been happier. My taste buds rejoiced and my body instantly felt stronger. My veg days are over.

No comments: