Monday, January 14, 2008

Freedom


I realize thus far I've written about notheing except myself, well, and maybe the food. But now it's time for a little politics. Two of the women kidnapped by the FARC 8 years ago (I think) were released. It was so emotional. I don't know much about Colombian politics, but I can't imagine what these women have been through, and what the other hostages are still going through. One of the women will be reunited with her son, Emanuel, whos was given away by the FARC two and a half years ago (he's now three and a half years old).

I was eating lunch with a Carolina and Cameron (a couple from Bogotá that I met in Cartagena) watching as the women were reunited with their families, including a grandchild she didn't know existed. It was tear jerking. And it's hopeful. It's amazing to be in Colombia. Uribe, the current president, has made incredible progress. I can't imagine growing up with so much violence and civil war, but i am inspired by and in awe of all the changes I've heard about and how much safer it seems.

1 comment:

guesshoo52 said...

Sounds like it was an eye opening experience. How amazing it must be to witness history.